I read about a great service the Honolulu Police Department (HPD) offers homeowners and it's free of charge! If you live in a single family home and are planning a vacation, HPD will perform a "house check" while you are gone. Uniformed police officers visit your home and look to see that things are in order.
HPD's house checks are limited to the following:
- Single family homes - no condos, townhomes, commercial or construction sites.
- House checks are for occupants away from their home for a vacation or similar purpose. HPD doesn't do house checks on vacant homes that are on the market to be sold or rented nor when they are being fumigated.
- The resident(s) must be away for at least five days and no longer than 30 days. The residents' vacation dates must be firm and if you return home early, be sure to let HPD know.
How to order a House Check
- Visit the HPD information webpage. If you don't already have an online account, create one by clicking the "Register with HPD" link.
- Once you're logged in, click "Create a new police report." Several questions will appear, such as "do you need to speak with an officer" and if it's not an emergency, click "no" to the questions and click the box that says "I certify under the penalty of the law that the information that I will provide in this report is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge" then continue.
- You'll see a new menu titled "Online Report." Type of case - the first split button under (a clickable button multiple options) has "House Check" as the first choice.
- Complete the form and it will move to another page titled "House Check" then fill out the information including your name, address, phone number, date and time you're leaving, date and time you're returning, whether you have pets or vehicles at the home and if there's an emergency contact person and phone number.
- Click "Submit Case" and you're done! Keep in mind, if you change your vacation dates, please let HPD know so that they don't consider you an intruder when they check your home.
- It's a great service, consider using it when you're away from home on vacation.
Mike Bates (Realtor Associate)
CENTURY 21 iProperties Hawaii
1585 Kapiolani Blvd #1533
Honolulu, HI 96814