Hawaii information and resources
Hawaii Department of Permitting and Planning - Look up past building permits and apply for a new building permit here.
Call 811 Before You Dig - Call 811 and utility companies will come to your yard and mark the area where utilitiy lines are located. Make the call and prevent accidental damage which can disrupt power and create hazards.
Each utility, be it electric, gas or cable is required to accurately describe or mark where their lines are running within five days of your phone call.
Plumber - Torigoe Plumbing 841-4417. Good work and reasonable rates. They installed a toilet for me at about half the cost that some others quoted ($137 parts and labor - toilet extra). They even provide forms for the State's $100 rebate for retrofitting water-efficient toilets.
Airlines serving Hawaii (interisland)
- Hawaiian Airlines - Hawaii's first airline, flying between all the major islands. Ranked #1 in the U.S. for airline quality.
- Mokulele Airlines - originally independent, became a partner with go! on October 15, 2009. Later sold and independent once again. This is a great choice for flying to neighbor islands in a smaller plane and getting some views.
- Island Air - flies turboprop DeHavilland Dash 100's and 200's.
- Aloha Airlines - Closed its operations on March 31, 2008.
- go! Airlines - upstart discount carrier went out of business on March 31, 2014 after six years of service.
Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Discounted Jeep Wranglers, convertibles, SUV's, cars and vans from National car rental companies
Hawaii Duck Tours - Ride a World War II era amphibious vehicle on Oahu's roads and watch as you ride into the ocean for a sea cruise. Lots of fun!
Hawaii's Animal Quarantine Laws - Find out how to bring your pet to Hawaii.
Hawaii Landlord-Tenant information - This information was prepared by the Hawaii Department of Commerce. It's a useful guide for investor/landlords and tenants. Includes contact information for quick answers to questions about rentals.
McCully Bike Shop - Some of the best deals in Hawaii for bicycles, shoes and tennis equipment.
The Bus - Oahu's bus system including routes and timetables. Checkout the Google Map feature. Zoom in on a map and click a "bus" icon. It will show you the next time a bus will depart that bus stop. Very handy!
Tsunami Awareness - Visit the National Oceanic and Atmospheric (NOAA) website and view Tsunami Inundation zones, with recommendations for action during Tsunami alerts.
Xeriscape your yard - Information from the Honolulu Board of Water Supply. Click on a colored zone on the map of Oahu and this site will provide a list of suggested grasses and plants suited to your neighborhood.